Saturday, February 28, 2009

Braedon's Broken Arm




February 3, 2009 was the first traumatic event that happened to one of our children. Braedon broke his arm. There was a very strange series of events that led up to the accident including a pipe in our basement bursting the night before. I was supposed to go to a MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) meeting the next morning. I got up to get all ready to go then the plumber we thought we were going to be able to get to come over that afternoon and fix the pipe was unable to. So, my plans changed right before I was supposed to leave for the MOPS meeting and I had to call a plumber and wait on them to come and fix the pipe. They arrived and I had removed the gate from going down our stairs because they had to leave for a few minutes and I wanted to lock the door behind them and then let them back in. It was not new that the gate was off the stairs because Braedon was getting pretty good at not trying to go down them. For some reason, that particular morning, he thought it looked fun to ride his toy firetruck down them. I was standing on the other side of the kitchen and looked over ans saw Braedon on his firetruck pointed down the stairs and he just scooted himself forward. I just know by the look on his face that he thought it was going to be fun. I am so sorry and my heart broke for him that it wasn't as fun as he thought. What a fiasco that was. I am so thankful for my friend, Jenifer, who came and picked up Kaley so I could go be at the hospital with Braedon and daddy. I also am so thankful for other members of my Sunday School class who prayed us through it. I realize now that in perspective a broken arm is really not that big of a deal but it was very traumatic for us at the time. We can actually laugh about it now. The first picture is of me holding Braedon in the ER after they put his arm in a splint. The second one is where you can see that the splint is not slowing him down much. The third picture is right after they put his cast on a few days later.

No comments: