Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Slow Fade - December 9, 2008

Earlier this year, I heard a 2-part series from North Point Community Church called “What Went Wrong?” The series was about King Solomon and how God blessed him with wisdom yet he made a series of unwise decisions that ultimately led him far away from God. The sermon series was so powerful to me because if Solomon was the wisest man on earth and he ended up spiritually dead and miserable than it would be very easy for me to end up that way. Especially considering that sometimes I don’t realize the full implications of my decisions before it is too late, which is what happened to King Solomon.

These decisions could seem like minor deviations from what God would have me do or more of just flirting with sin rather than out and out disobeying God but even that is a step in the wrong direction. If I continue to take several small steps away from God, one day I will wake up and find myself far away from Him, crying out “How did I get here?”

This sermon series has come to my mind quite often over the past year but I am reminded of it once again and quite a bit stronger whenever I hear the song “Slow Fade” by Casting Crowns. I also love how intricately God ties this into my Sunday school class mission, which is to be purposeful. I need to be purposeful in all of my decisions or “black and white will turn to gray”, as the song says. Ultimately, it will become easier to make unwise decisions and I will begin to “fade”. The song also says, “be careful little feet where you go for it is the little feet behind you that are sure to follow.” These words are so powerful (for obvious reasons).

In case anyone is interested in hearing the sermon series you can download an MP3 by following the links below.
http://resources.northpoint.org/store/shop.do?cID=59&pID=1546
http://resources.northpoint.org/store/shop.do?cID=59&pID=1547

-Tina

No comments: