Sunday, June 5, 2011

My Heroes

We met them approximately five years ago and have hung out with them a couple of times. Our paths cross quite frequently at church and we stop to chat in the halls. They are the kind of people who are so inviting and so welcoming that they make you feel like your best friend even if you hardly ever hang out outside of church. They were one of the first true Christian couples we had contact with shortly after giving our lives to Christ. They hold a special place in my heart even though we probably wouldn't be considered "close" friends. Now, they hold an even more special place. They are true heroes for a multitude of reasons and we are blessed and honored to call them friends.

They have experienced what is quite possibly the worst heartache that a couple can experience...the loss of their first baby a couple of short hours after birth. I have been grieving with them from afar and praying like crazy for them to be covered with the peace that only God can provide. I also have been challenged greatly in my own life to really cherish every single moment.

I am in awe of the work God is doing through the lives of this family. By His grace, they are able to focus on the gifts they received and be truly grateful in the midst of such great heartache. My friend, Jamie has already written a great article about it. I invite you to read it if you haven't already.

Today, I want to thank God for this family. I thank God for the peace that I know He has already provided to this family and the ongoing comfort that only He can provide. I thank God for the gift of knowing this family and calling them brothers and sisters in Christ. I thank God for the life of their sweet baby boy. And, I thank God that through His son, Jesus, is the promise of heaven where there will be no more tears and no more pain.

No comments: