Sunday, June 28, 2009

Revolutionized Prayer Life

I must admit that I was lacking in this area of my relationship with God. When I really analyzed the situation and prayed for God to show me how to strengthen this area I found that I was unmotivated due to being overwhelmed with things to pray for. I would try to pray without ceasing but then realize that I wasn't praying and then feel bad that I had not been praying for people. Then, feel even worse that I had not even been praying for my own husband and kids. This always turned to praying for what was on the Sunday School or my small group prayer list. I was happy that I was praying for other people but I still was not sure about the priority of prayer topics in my life. If I prayed for my husband or my kids before I prayed for someone in my Christian community then I felt like I was being selfish. God was so good for clearing this up rather quickly for me. First, I was reminded of something I learned a couple of years ago that is basically an order of prayer as follows: Praise, Forgiveness, Thankfulness, Supplication. Secondly, as I began reading "The Power of a Praying Wife" I realized the importance of praying for my husband and that it is not selfish. In fact, it is the second most important thing I can do second only to praising God. This makes total sense given the order of priority in my life in general: 1. God, 2. Marriage, 3. Kids. So, my prayer life now looks like this:
1. Praise God for who He is
2. Ask for forgiveness and strength to overcome my sin
3. Thank Him
4. Pray for husband using chapter topics in order from "Power of a Praying Wife" or something else specific depending on circumstances
5. Pray for our kids also depends on circumstances or just in general that God would guide me in leading them to Him and they will fulfill His purpose for their lives
6. Pray from lists from Sunday School and small group or other need I am aware of

My goal is to go through this order of prayer multiple times a day as I try to pray without ceasing. If I do cease then I pick up where I left off as soon as I can. I am so not perfect at this or anything else I do but it is plan, goal, and a work in progress that, so far, has revolutionized my prayer life.

No comments: