Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Healthy Meal Idea (Tuna)

Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist. What I deem as healthy for me and my family may vary from yours depending on your family's nutrition needs. Let me also add that these meals are healthy for the most part. However, they may still contain some ingredients that aren't necessarily that good for you.


This lunch idea is a somewhat healthier twist on one of my old favorites...Tuna Salad, Whole Wheat Crackers, and Cucumber & Vinegar Salad. I can't take credit for it since it comes from my wonderful husband. I walked into this for lunch the other day and he said "I figured this could be your healthy meal idea and I even took pictures of it for you." Thanks, honey!

Tuna mix:
3 cans Tuna
1 tbs of mayonnaise
Salt
Black Pepper
Vinegar dressing to taste (from below)
Or, you could use bottled dressing, like Italian

Vegetable mix:
2 Cucumber
1/4 Red Onion
1 Pear
Apple Mint to taste (or whatever other herb you prefer)

Vinegar dressing:
12.7 oz Rice Wine Vinegar
Salt to taste
Black Pepper to taste
Sugar to taste


There are a couple of different ways this can be mixed up. We mixed the tuna mix and vinegar dressing together. Separately, we mixed the veggies with the vinegar dressing. So, as you can see from the picture it was like two salads. It could all be mixed together into one big salad but I haven't tried it that way. Or, I have also heard of a similar recipe where the Tuna is served in a sliced half of an orange or red pepper. If you don't like Tuna, don't worry just change it up with Chicken Salad or whatever else you do like.

I hope you can find the ideas useful!

No comments: