Friday, February 18, 2011

(Un)Forgetful Friday-Garrett, God Tells Us...

When Braedon was around two years old he started having night-time fears. He didn't want to go to bed and would wake up sometimes several times in the middle of the night. This is when I started praying scripture with him. Specific scripture about not being afraid. The one I used the most was:
Isaiah 41:13 "For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you."
I also have used it a lot since then. About a year ago he had a playdate and his friend was talking a lot about being scared of the dark. Of course, then Braedon started talking about it a lot too. I reminded him of this scripture and we would pray it specifcially for him and his friend.
Pretty much everytime he talks about being scared of something I remind him of this scripture. The most recent happened just the other day when Braedon and his brother went to the doctor. It was Braedon's four year and Garrett's six month check-up. I was pretty certain that each age was going to get shots. Braedon remembered getting a flu shot last time we went to the doctor. He asked me if he was going to get a shot this time. I was not going to lie to him so I told him I was pretty sure he was going to have to get shots. I followed it up by telling him that God tells us not to worry and not to be scared. Then, he asked me if Garrett was going to get shots. I told him yes. A few minutes later I heard him talking to Garrett saying, "Garrett, God tells us not to be scared. So, don't be scared of your shots...ok?"
It was so awesome to hear him telling his little brother this!

No comments: