Thursday, May 6, 2010

Weekly Check-Up

We have implemented family prayer time and what a blessing it has been. It doesn't look perfect but I don't want perfect. I want real. I want glory for God. I want exposure and modeling for my kids. So, we decided to give it a try with a 3 year old and an 18 month old. This is what it looks like so far:
Our kids drink warm milk right before bed. We thought that would be a good time to have prayer time since they will be sitting still for the most part and usually want to cuddle while they are drinking their milk. As a family we sit on the couch and either my husband and I will start and then switch. For at least one or two of the prayers we will ask Braedon to repeat what we are saying in order for him to be engaged. Usually about one minute into it Kaley is already up and running around the living room. But, that's ok. Not perfect...right!

Since I have been forced to take several breaks and get off of my at least a couple of times during the day, I am focusing that time on prayer. It has been great! I so much want to serve and be a giver but I haven't been able to do a whole lot lately...except pray!

Andrew and I have officially started our study of the minor prophets. We have been working separately on the daily readings/questions and will come together on Saturday to discuss it. It is a 12 week study so we will be at it for a while. I am really excited about what God is going to teach us through this study.

Braedon was focusing on the letter D this week. We are working on the word matching game that goes with the letter D bible verse Zephaniah 3:17, which says "He will take great delight in you." Breaedon was resistant last time I tried word matching for the bible verse so I just left it laying on the table. A day and a half later, he picked it up and wanted to play it. We played it a couple of times and he was catching onto the verse. After a couple of more times hopefully he will have it down. It is actually really cute to hear him try to say Zephaniah! :-) We also have been doing all kinds of dinosaur activities and playing outside a lot this week.

Kaley likes playing right alongside Braedon doing whatever he is doing or doing her own thing. She doesn't seem to want much involvement from me, which is forcing me to figure out how to be more intentional with my time with her. I don't want to waste a moment with either one of these precious gifts that God has blessed me with.

Since I am such a structure/schedule/list/planner person, I know that I have to put an intentional plan together for each day for each child. No, this is not a structure of every minute of every day. It is more like structuring just a small part of the day in order to make sure I am more intentional with my time with each child. So many times I get to the end of the day and start questioning whether I made a difference in their lives today. With a little structure, I think I can ensure that the most important things are being focused on. One way I can keep myself accountable for this intentional time is by participating in Tot School, hosted by Carisa at 1+1+1=1. I am hoping to have my first Tot School post up this Sunday. It will have more details and pictures of our activities this week. Yay, can't wait!!!

PS-Here is a really cool reminder to make the most of your time.

No comments: